Dr. M.M. Zameer
Consultant Pediatric Laparoscopic and Robotic Surgeon
A five year old child came to me with complaints of pain in the mouth since 15 days. He was treated for the same with pain killers by pediatricians but in vain. He was evaluated and a screw was found embedded in the gums (it was lying in for a long time , hence was covered by the oral cavity mucusa and was not visible to the naked eye). He underwent a small procedure and the screw was removed.
Children have a habit of putting things in the mouth and forgetting them. Hence , parents and guardians should make an effort to keep sharp or fine objects like pins, screws, needles, extremely small parts of toys etc. away from children. These if put in the nose or mouth may get lodged in difficult to reach spaces in the body and if left unattended , it can also be life threatening.